25 THINGS ABOUT 1990
Rubber Box is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year so we have compiled a list of 25 interesting facts about 1990, the year we were founded.
1. A litre of unleaded petrol would have cost just 40.2p per litre.
2. Aldi and Netto each opened their first store in the UK.
3. NASA launched the Hubble Space Telescope.
4. The Gulf War started after Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait.
5. A Mars bar would have cost you 27p
6. Apartheid was abolished in South Africa after the release of Nelson Mandela.
7. First in-car Sat Nav launched by Pioneer.
8. The first web server was invented, which was the foundation for the Internet.
9. The 1990 World Cup was the first broadcast of digital HDTV. West Germany beat Argentina 1-0 in the final.
10. The average price of a pint of beer was just £1.09
11. The average price of a pint of milk was 30p
12. Ayrton Senna won the F1 World Championship.
13. The Community Charge was first introduced causing protests throughout the country.
14. The Simpsons first appeared on TV.
15. French & British workers on the Channel Tunnel meet up 40 metres below the sea bed.
16. A brand new Range Rover Vogue cost a mere £28995.00
17. Encyclopaedia Britannica had its best ever sales year with 120000 volumes. They ceased printing in 2012
18. Microsoft launches Windows 3
19. A bag of sugar would have cost 62p.
20. The mobile phone of the moment was an NEC P3, which would have set you back a whopping £1499.00
21. 20 cigarettes would have cost just £1.65
22. Britain recorded its highest ever temperature of 37.1 degrees Celsius during a heat wave.
23. Margaret Thatcher resigns after 11 years in office.
24. The 3 best selling singles were Elton John – Sacrifice, Adamski – Killer and The Righteous Brothers – Unchained Melody.
25. The first McDonalds opened in Russia in January 1990 followed 8 months later by the first McDonalds in China.